Thursday, June 24, 2010

Article on Low-Cost and Free Language Learning Resources

Today AOL linked to an interesting article from WalletPop about the best free ways to learn a language. I clicked on it immediately; I don’t often see much online material about learning languages unless I go searching for it explicitly, so I was excited to see this piece.


In the article author Lou Carlozo discuss various popular ways of learning, and he even mentions some sites and methods I’d never heard of before. Rosetta Stone is touted as the best paid method of language learning. I myself have stayed away from Rosetta Stone precisely because of the cost, though I have heard great things about it.

Carlozo talks about using consulates to find free language classes, an option I didn’t know existed. And of course, he mentions some great online options. I’ve always been partial to learning online, but it can be difficult to find free programs that are comprehensive, i.e., programs that don’t just offer you a few lessons in the basics and then cut you off.

He mentions the BBC website as a great free language-learning site, and I agree. I used the BBC site to learn some basic Italian a few years ago, in addition to doing a few exercises in Mandarin for fun. I don’t remember it being too in-depth, however. I’ll have to go back there and see what they’ve done with their tutorials since.

I was intrigued when Carlozo mentioned Livemocha.com. I’d never heard of the site before, and he recommends it as the best free site, because you get access to native speakers through the chat function, which is immensely beneficial because you get feedback from a real speaker on pronunciation and grammar. (Interacting with native speakers is the absolute best way to learn, as any aspiring polyglot knows.) iTunes, as well, offers free language lessons. And Babbel.com is mentioned as an inexpensive language learning subscription site that features mobile phone apps so you can learn your chosen language on the go.


Read the whole article if you'd like more details. Hope it inspires you to start learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment