Monday, November 30, 2009

On the Utility of French

I've been studying French for more than half my life (since about age thirteen). I studied it in all four years in high school and then kept up with it for most of the time I spent in college. I have only rarely had the occasion to use it. When I can use it, I'm told I'm a good speaker, although I don't always feel that that's the case when I'm in the thick of a conversation. I have often wondered if I should have taken Spanish instead (although I can read Spanish rather well for never having studied it), but I feel that mastering French might have some psychological benefit beyond immediate utilitarian reasons. Being comfortable in French, which is seen as a relatively difficult language for English speakers to master (mainly due to the pronunciation peculiarities and the grammar), could give an aspiring polyglot enough confidence to take on studying other foreign tongues that might be easier. Even if you're not an aspiring polyglot, learning any foreign language is an accomplishment, especially one that has the reputation that French does. So, is French useful? I think the answer to this is probably yes, even if the reasons it is useful are not so immediately obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment